Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Eggplant, Take 2

My first ever attempt at cooking eggplant was an utter failure. This was probably due to the amount of wine I was consuming while cooking said eggplant, but details details.

My second attempt however was much better. I may have even stumbled across an actual meal, as opposed to all these side dishes I keep making.

I am currently counting calories / carbs / fat (who isn't?) so I sort of made this recipe up after searching for a few eggplant dishes online. I wanted to use items that I had on had (like fat free Kraft singles) as well as keep it within my daily limits. (I would credit this recipe as my inspiration)

Eggplant "Parm"

  • Heat oven to 450 degrees
  • Wash and trim ends of eggplant
  • Slice eggplant into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices
  • Brush tops of eggplant with olive oil (this is where I was really good; I actually measured out 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and only brushed it on. BIG change for me)

Sliced and ready to go

  • Lay slices in a single layer, coated baking pan
  • Bake in oven for 20 - 25 minutes, until browned and very soft when pressed


as you can see, I wasn't able to get just one layer. I 'snacked' on those top two.

NOTE: At this point, I had to put Stella to bed, so I just removed the eggplant from the oven and turned it off. I was totally expecting disaster. Not only was I "winging" a recipe, but I was letting it sit out for the 45 minute bath & bedtime routine... But it actually worked out!

  • Top eggplant slices with cheese and sauce
  • Bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted

The one slice with the 'good' mozzarella cheese. All the others had fat free cheese :(
Result = Yum. I would certainly do this one again (maybe splurge with some better cheese or some breadcrumbs.) This is basically a bread-less and pasta-less Eggplant Parm, but I did not miss those carbs at all. I think it is due to the thickness of the slices of the eggplant. They were substantial and yummy.

Pin this, bitches!

No comments:

Post a Comment